Saturday, May 06, 2006

The General Election saga!

Finally, I thought this day would never come. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not really into the whole politics thingy. I had to vote as it is mandatory for all 21 year olds and above to vote. Living in Tampines, it was a contest between PAP and the SDA. In recent times the opposition parties have started to come out of their shell and actually put up a real fight for the seats in parliament. The last week or so has been really busy. Rallies were conducted in many parts of the country where PAP and the opposition were contesting for the seats. Vans carrying the PAP banners and PAP message prompting citizens to vote for the PAP has been making its rounds and vice versa for the opposition parties. I, for one, believe that Yes, we need an opposition voice in the parliament to keep track of the ruling party. However, I still don't think that the opposition parties are ready. PAP has been doing a good job for many years and its definitely not easy to take over their position and match up to everything they have achieved so far. I admit, I don't know much about politics and I actually don't care. The national pledge states that we are to "build a democratic society", but people argue that we are not a democratic country. I agree to a certain extend but like I said, I don't know much about politics so I won't make any accusations. The only thing that irritated me during the whole election saga was the James Gomez incident. What he did was wrong and I for one definitely do not believe that he was distracted and forgot to submit his form. However, it was very irritating to read in the papers and listen to the news everyday about how the PAP is using this to make a point. So the guys did a stupid thing and thought he could get away with it, he made a public apology, lets get on with life. Lets move on to more important things. Why does every minister or contesting candidates keep bringing up the James Gomez incident and keep demanding him to apologize, tell the truth and whatever. James Gomez is definitely already feeling extremely embarrassed about the whole thing. Why can't everyone act like grown ups and move on. Why keep harping on the same thing like a bunch of sec school girls! Oh well, guess that's just the Singaporeans mentality!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home